Living in Lausanne

Before starting your studies…

The information below is intended to give you a clearer idea of what studying at the Manufacture entails and of how you can prepare for it in the best possible way.

Successful applicants receive with their admission packs more detailed information on each of these subjects, providing concrete guidance on what to do next.


Nationals of the European Union (EU)

Nationals of European Union (EU) countries can easily obtain a residence permit provided they have in their possession all the required documents.

This permit authorises a maximum of 15 hours work per week.

Nationals of countries outside the EU

Nationals of countries outside the EU must be in possession of a study visa issued by the Swiss Embassy or Consulate of their place of residence.

In particular, they must attest that they are able to support themselves financially.

The formalities to obtain a study visa can take up to 3 months, so it’s important to get started as soon as possible!

Health and accident insurance

Every student enrolled at the Manufacture must provide the school with copies of the following certificates:

For students from Switzerland

All students enrolled at the Manufacture must be personally insured against sickness and accidents. In addition, they must take steps to obtain personal liability cover for all their activities outside course hours.

For EU nationals

European health insurance card (see below); at a later date, a copy of the "exemption from mandatory insurance" issued by the OCC (Cantonal supervisory body of health and accident in-surance, Organe cantonal de contrôle de l'assurance-maladie et accidents).

At least two weeks prior to your departure, you must obtain a European health insurance card (CEAM, ‘carte européenne d’assurance maladie’) from your health insurance company. The latter company must be a public (not private) insurance company.

Upon arrival in Switzerland, show your European health insurance card to the Cantonal supervisory body of health and accident insurance (OCC):

Organe Cantonal de Contrôle de l'assurance-maladie et accidents (OCC) Chemin de Mornex 40, Lausanne 

tél. +41 (0)21 557 47 47 (mornings only)

For nationals of countries outside the EU

Nationals of countries outside the EU must in principle take out health insurance in Switzerland and are free to choose their insurer. It is important to compare the amount of premiums, which can vary considerably from one health insurer to another and according to the plan subscribed. The website can help with this choice.


The situation as regards accommodation in the Lausanne region is difficult. There is a scarcity of accommodation and rents for the most part are high. Finding somewhere to live can be time-consuming and it is important therefore to make enquiries without delay. Flat sharing is one recommended solution.